Ikeda Library Mission Statement
The mission of the Daisaku and Kaneko Ikeda Library at Soka University of America (SUA)
is to offer student-centered library services in support of SUA's mission. The Ikeda Library
strives to meet the information needs of the SUA community by
1.) Disseminating academic resources that support the programs and courses at SUA,
2.) Providing personal reference services and information literacy instruction, and by
3.) Offering a functional space for students to read and study comfortably.
Soka University of America Mission Statement
The mission of Soka University of America is to foster a steady stream of global citizens committed to living a contributive life.
Library Learning Outcomes: Information Literacy Standards of the Association of College and Research Libraries
1. To determine the nature and extent of information needed
2. To access the needed information effectively and efficiently
3. To evaluate information and its sources critically and incorporate selected information into his or her knowledge base and value system
4. To individually or as a member of a group, use information effectively to accomplish a specific purpose
5. To understand many of the economic, legal, and social issues surrounding the use of information and access and use information ethically and legally
Soka University of America Values
Soka University is founded upon the Buddhist principles of peace, human rights, and the sanctity of life. Educational objectives are fostered at the university through the commitment to rigorous academic endeavors, free and open dialogue, and an appreciation for human diversity. In the Buddhist view, education is an integrating process in which students gain an awareness of the interdependence of themselves, others, and the environment. Wisdom, courage, and compassion – values treasured by the university – do not exist in isolation. They emerge in individuals as they learn the importance of service to others, to the natural world around them, and to the great cause of peace and freedom.